Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organiser, or organise your very own event.
The Wisdom of Prevention
Wednesday, 9 May 2012 from 09:00 to 12:30 (BST)
54 Lincoln\'s Inn Fields,
THE WISDOM OF PREVENTION
Early action to prevent harm: why it matters and how to achieve it
A major interdisciplinary conference
9th May 2012, 9.00- 12.30 am
Sheikh Zayed Theatre
London School of Economics
New Academic Building
London WC2A 2AE
Lord Adair Turner, Chair of the Financial Services Authority
Jonathon Porritt, Founder Director of Forum for the Future
Rt Hon Margaret Hodge MP, Chair of the Public Accounts Committee
David Robinson, Chair of the Early Action Taskforce
Dharmendra Kanani, England Director of the Big Lottery Fund
Why this conference?
- To build the case for long-term planning and investment in early action to prevent harm before it happens.
- To consider prevention on three fronts - society, environment and economy - to draw out lessons for policy and practice.
- To raise awareness, challenge assumptions and stimulate a wide debate on how to make this happen in practice
Why does prevention matter?
Preventing harm can help to
- improve well-being and quality of life
- use resources more wisely, cut waste and save money
- reduce reliance on state intervention to repair social, environmental and economic problems
- safeguard the future for our children and grandchildren
What questions will the conference explore?
- The social, environmental and economic costs of failing to prevent harm
- How to invest in prevention while still having to meet the costs of failure
- How to judge whether preventive measures are working
- The role of regulators, businesses, parliament, NGOs and charities, civil servants and local government.
Who should attend?
Policy-makers of all hues, opinion leaders in all spheres, reflective bankers and entrepreneurs, critical economists, innovators in local government, risk-takers in the voluntary sector, strategic civil servants, undaunted environmentalists, lateral thinkers in health and social care, leading-edge academics, thoughtful bloggers and media folk.
Don’t miss the chance to be in at the start of this vital debate. Reserve your place now.
The event is supported by the Big Lottery
When & Where
nef (the new economics foundation)
nef is an independent think-and-do tank that inspires and demonstrates real economic well-being.
We aim to improve quality of life by promoting innovative solutions that challenge mainstream thinking on economic, environmental and social issues. We work in partnership and put people and the planet first.